Recently, there have been plenty of Ransomware attack reports. Due to these Ransomware attacks high-profile companies and business are affected some of them even got shut down. Over the last few years, Ransomware has become one of the largest computer threats for organizations around the world and its ever growing up. Ransomware spams the world; it is indiscriminate in its victims and no interaction with it, because it runs in a handful of seconds from, spreads in organizations and locks their data and computers.
What is Ransomware?
Malwares that causes inaccessibility of data by performing encryption of confidential data and files or by locking the system are called as ransomware. These ransomware creators demand certain amount of ransom money for the decrypting of confidential data and files or for unlocking the system. Even after paying the ransom there is no assurance of confidential data access for the victim. Ransoms are demanded in terms of Bitcoins or physical money or may be something from physical resources.
WannaCry and PETYA are very recent ransomware. They demand in bitcoins.
How ransomware spreads-
Like most other types of malware, this ransomware is delivered as a Trojan load through a hyperlink that can be accidentally opened by a victim via email, an ad on a web page or a Dropbox link. Once activated, the malicious program spreads through computer systems and networks, and blocks any file with the same encryption that is used for instant messages.
How to protect our systems from these kinds of ransomwares-
- Update (patch) your systems regularly these Updates will provide protection against vulnerability of the systems.
- Backups– We can create multiple backup of Electronic data which is not possible with physical data so backup your data at different locations other than source regularly. If your data is encrypted by ransomware or stolen then you have backup of your data to start your work again. We can also encrypt backup to provide additional security and confidentiality.
- Suspicious URL – Beware of suspicious URL (Link). URLs that do not have known domain extension or with incorrect spelling comes to your mails then don’t click on them.
- Suspicious Website – Websites starting with different extension or protocol other than (https/http), websites that you never knew or heard about or website containing unusual images/wayward popups, improper content; do not sign-up or download anything from these types of websites. Stay away from these types of websites.
- Block un-used ports number specially port 445 and 139 from external hosts
So there is huge demand of Cyber security and Information security professional in market. To address this growing demand, the top universities like JK Lakshmipat University, Jaipur is offering B.Tech Program in Computer Science (CS) with specialization in Big Data Analytics, Information security, Cloud computing, Mobile computing in academic collaboration with IBM. The students trained through these specializations will be able to create cyber safe environment for their organization.
About the Author:
Assistant Professor- Computer Science Engineering (CSE), IET, JKLU